Tuesday 19 July 2011

Romance, rain and the perennial problem of what to wear


Bridge over beck

I’m just back from a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales exploring the question whether reunion romances can work in real life as well as in fiction … I think we’re still only on Chapter 3 on that one, but it was a lovely weekend all the same.  A charming B&B by a beck which you had to cross by a narrow bridge, four poster bed and everything.  And yet  I could still spend most of my time moaning about the weather.  Obviously not a real romantic at heart (as was pointed out several times over the weekend, in fact). 




Midsummer at Malham


But it was miserably wet all weekend. Is it too much to ask the sun to appear in July???  The last time I was in Malham – in March – the sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful.  This time you’d never have guessed that it was allegedly summer. 






Janet's Foss
It’s all very well saying that it doesn’t matter as long as you’ve got a glow inside, but every day is a bad hair day when it’s raining – here I am at Janet’s Foss to prove the point.  And I can never get the clothes right, as you can obviously tell from these photos (remind me never to wear gaiters again unless I’m in black trousers!) I know, of course, that it doesn’t matter what you look like – my mother spent my entire adolescence assuring me that ‘nobody’s interested in you, dear’ – but it would be so nice to get the romance and the wardrobe and the weather all right at the same time … or is that greedy?

Anyway, I’ve really just popped in to remind you that the fabulous Liz Fielding  is having a terrific party over on her blog this week.  If you haven’t stopped by yet, you don’t need an invitation, and there are lots of wonderful books up for grabs. And you never know who you’re going to meet at Liz’s parties … she knows everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Nope, Jessica, it's not greedy - but hoping to get the weather right is definitely a fantasy rather than real life! :o)

    Actually, I think that pic of you with a 'bad hair day' is absolutely charming - you look warm, friendly, and very approachable (i.e. your personality really comes through).

    You know what's coming, now, don't you? LOL. The first time I met you, you were the epitome of grooming and elegance in that gorgeous red dress and those amazing shoes. You looked every inch the romantic novelist, and I was TERRIFIED of you.

    Hmm. Now there would be an idea for a novel, but I have a revisions deadline I have to meet and my ed would slay me if I wrote another book instead ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that once in a while we should be able to have it all. Although the hair thing is always going to defeat me!

    At least the B&B was good and I hope that working up to Chapter 4 was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Liz ... and maybe having it all is what romance is all about. Doesn't often happen, but sometimes - just sometimes - it can all work out perfectly. Fingers crossed!

    That red dress is still hanging in my cupboard, Kate - much too small now, and I keep telling myself I should give it away. I always love that story of you thinking me the "epitome of grooming and elegance" - never fails to give me a big laugh! Good luck with those revisions.

    ReplyDelete